Saturday, August 9, 2014

Reflections

These reflections were written on Friday night after our last day in the school and at the work site.


I started this trip on a bad foot- by complaining to my friends about it. My summer was very short and I wanted to make the most out of it by spending it with people near to me, both in my heart and geographically. Instead I was going to have to spend it with slimy little kids who didn’t speak my language. My mind quickly changed when the first thing I saw were smiling faces with open arms running at me for a hug and I realized I was the one who didn’t understand their language. I have always been told that you never have to do something, you rather have the opportunity to do it. This really came true to me on this trip. I realized how privileged I was; I have a roof over my head, neighbors I can trust, loving parents, loving friends, a good education, food readily available whenever I am hungry, and the list goes on and on. I have truly had a wonderful experience with the young children of Guatemala. They welcomed me as one of their own by smearing their chocolate sauce all over my face and holding my hand wherever I went. Today in the nursery, we played many games with words beginning with “j”. This including chocolate sauce, shaving cream, and glue, which in turn meant lots of hand scrubbing. Friday is also gym day so I had the opportunity to participate in their workout. This meant laying on the ground, stretching, running around cones, and more fun. This may sound easy considering I am at least ten years older than these kids but when you are being tugged on either to have a hand to hold or being given a hug, simple tasks like touching your toes become extremely difficult. It was hard to say goodbye to the kids because they didn’t really understand I wasn’t coming back but they still gave me plenty of hugs and warm smiles. However, I had to leave to go to the closing ceremonies. This included the students dancing, singing, playing instruments, and showing off their other feats. We jumped rope for them and in return received many paintings from the students from all the different grades. Next, we started the dirty work. We put lots of finishing cement on the walls and made some other finishing touches before packing up to leave for the final time. It is important to make a note here of how patient these people were. The main construction site manager didn’t speak much English but kept a smile on his face when he repeatedly showed us how to things we knew were easy for him. (We spent hours on them even though it would have only taken him minutes.) All the children, teachers, and workers, smiled, showed extreme patience, and gave us love, which they most definitely needed more than us. This group never stopped working, even through rolled ankles, stomachaches, and dehydration. We learned to work well with each other as a team and continued to stay positive. I am truly blessed to have had such a great experience here. It has really helped me to see that I need to seize the many opportunities I am given, even if they don’t seem like opportunities.
Claudia

Today was the last day we spent with the kids of the school. Everyone was devastated that we had to say goodbye. Its incredible that we could form such a close bond with these boys and girls in such a short time, even with the challenge of the language barrier. For me, I didn't want to say goodbye because i didn’t want to think this was the last time i would see these kids. A new desire grew in me to come back to Guatemala and see how these kids are doing. Their spirits are so pure and so kind. I hope and pray that as time goes on their strong light and immense supply of love will not be dimmed by the evils of this world. These kids taught me that no matter what background you are from, no matter how much money you have, and no matter what language you speak, you can always show love to those around you. I am going to bring this back to the United States. We are all intrinsically the same. We all have a body and a soul. We all have an intellect and a will. We all desire to love and be loved. I truly do love all the kids I met and grew close with as well as the teachers, workers, and police we encountered.  I saw God in each and every one of them. I will always keep them and the memories we shared close to my heart. 

Isabelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment